The Reading Levels of my “Songbooks of Science”
I have recently been asked, “What are the Guided Reading Levels of my Songbooks of Science?” My first response would be that they were initially created for Shared Reading experiences. Since each is focused on a science theme, the higher vocabulary makes the text too unpredictable to be used in Guided Reading. Of course that doesn’t mean they can’t be included in your reading block. There are many teaching points you could focus on each day. Using Fountas and Pinnell’s Characteristics of Leveled Text, I would suggest…
- Day 1- Take a picture walk, pointing out the new vocabulary using picture clues to support emergent or early readers.
- Day 2- Introduce rhyming words or contractions.
- Day 3- Notice words with inflectional endings.
- Day 3 or 4- Introduce the song or melody using my CD.
- Day 5- Notice the high frequency words in the lyrics.
By the end of the first week, the songbook can be placed in the classroom’s Independent Reading Baskets (Song Books if you have that category) where the children can revisit them as old favorites!
I intend to present the Levels of each of my Songbooks of Science in upcoming posts on this Blog, so stayed tuned! (Yes, it could be a pun;-)